Now that the holiday season is in full swing, it’s time for another installment of our holiday security gift guide. While property crimes are generally lower in the winter, package theft peaks during that season largely due to the increase in package deliveries . While we believe the Package Guard is the best way to keep your packages safe, home security needs to be a comprehensive solution. So, whether you’re security conscious yourself or are doing holiday shopping for someone who is, here’s our guide for the best gifts for this holiday season!
- Amazon Cloud Cam: inexpensive IoT devices makes it possible to DIY home security like never before. For less that $120, Amazon is jumping into the home security camera market. This camera works with Alexa and the free tier plan allows you to review the last 24 hours of video. You can also purchase a plan that allows you to review the previous three years of footage. OR, you could go the next step and purchase Amazon Key to let delivery drivers have access to your home to drop deliveries inside and away from thieves, if you are ready for that combination of risk vs security.
- EMDMAK Door Stop Alarm: While technology has been a boon to home security, sometimes you can just get to a good door stop. This door stop has a 120dB alarm, and can be used at home or when you travel.
- Addalock: Physical security for home or travel, the Addalock installs on any door and can easily be used on the go. The lock works by preventing break-ins rather than just documenting them as they happen. We’re all for prevention and deterrence rather than attempting to catch someone after the fact—it’s not easy—so physical security is an easily overlooked element of a comprehensive security system.
- Ring video doorbell made our list last time and they did it again. Not only do video doorbells monitor your porch, they let you interact with people who come to your door even when you’re away so the person at the door doesn’t know the difference. Simply connect with your smart device and talk to the person on the other side.
- Smart bulbs for your lights are a great choice, especially in the darker winter season. These light bulbs connect to wifi and allow you to control color and brightness from your smartphone. The Philips Hue is a great choice and they work with Alexa. At the time of writing it was just $147 for a starter kit, more affordable than ever.
- Canary All-in-One Home Security Device: If you don’t want to take the time to purchase, install and set up multiple security devices to monitor the environment, you can use an all-in-one solution like the Canary device. It includes a video camera, motion sensor, and monitors temperature and air quality. Canary sends alerts to your smartphone and doesn’t require a monthly contract, unlike some other services that have the same features.
- You might live in a house that’s set back from the road. If you do, and you’d like to be alerted when someone’s coming up your driveway, the Guardline Driveway Alarm is for you. It can connect to a wifi signal up to ¼ mile away, and placed anywhere on your property.
- Once again, Abode Connected Home Security and Automation kit makes our list. The starter kit comes with one Gateway, two window/door sensors, a remote key fob, and one motion sensing camera. This is a great way for the home security beginner to get their feet wet with a multi-component system.
- Naturally, we can’t make a list of security devices without including the Package Guard. With package theft increasing with online shopping, we see it as a growing problem that can easily be interrupted. Package Guard sends notifications the moment a delivery driver places a package at your doorstep so you know when it’s arrived. It also alert you and an invite-only group of family or neighbors while setting off an alarm if the package is removed.
- Finally, our list wouldn’t be complete without our favorite home security system and best friend: the noble canine. Dogs are one of the oldest security systems and certainly the cutest. Unlike technological devices, dogs can act autonomously and are fiercely loyal.
That wraps up our list for this year! We hope you have a wonderful and safe holiday season and a very happy new year!